How to become a deputy

If you would like to know more about how to become a deputy then contact our free legal helpline by phone or email.

What is a deputy?

If a person loses mental capacity and does not have a Power of Attorney in place, it may be necessary to apply to the Court of Protection for a Deputyship Order. There are two types of deputyship: 

Property and Financial Affairs

This gives the deputy authority to manage someone’s financial affairs on their behalf. This could include paying their bills, organising their pensions and even taking advice in respect of investments. 

Personal Welfare

Here, the deputy has the authority to make decisions about someone’s care, residence and medical treatment. However, a court will only appoint a personal welfare deputy in limited scenarios. 

Who can apply to become a deputy? 

You can apply to be appointed as a deputy if you are 18 years or over. A deputy is usually a close relative or friend of the person who needs help in making decisions. 

The Court can also appoint two or more deputies for the same person. 

It is also possible for a professional to act as a deputy. For example, an accountant, a solicitor or a Local Authority could act as a deputy. The Court of Protection can also appoint a specialist deputy, called a panel deputy, from a list of approved law firms and charities if there is no one else available to act. 

What are my responsibilities as a deputy? 

If you are appointed as a deputy, then you will have numerous responsibilities. These include following the principles enshrined within the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and ensuring that you act in the best interests of the protected party. If you are managing someone’s property and financial affairs, you must keep records of the finances you manage on their behalf. 

Will I be supervised?

Yes. A Deputy must provide an annual report to the Office of the Public Guardian. This will detail decisions made within the year and any financial transactions. In contrast, Attorneys appointed under a Lasting Power of Attorney will not have any reporting duties. 

further help with How to become a deputy?

If you need assistance in applying to be a deputy yourself or you are interested in a professional deputy being appointed, then please contact our Court of Protection team on 0808 139 1606 or send an email to us at [email protected]

Author: cpl

Vivamus vel sem at sapien interdum pretium. Sed porttitor, odio in blandit ornare, arcu risus pulvinar ante, a gravida augue justo sagittis ante. Sed mattis consectetur metus quis rutrum. Phasellus ultrices nisi a orci dignissim nec rutrum turpis semper.